Friday, 17 April 2015

Cover Progression


First, I made a simple background by making a layer and applying a gradient blending option to it. I adjusted the sliders so that it was not 50% both sides.


I then took the photo of Mat, and keyed him out by selecting every color that was near to white (the backdrop color.) Once this was done, I used the layer I had duplicated earlier (before I keyed him out) and used a mask  on this layer to restore parts of the original image, so that his eyes for example were no longer transparent. Once I had him keyed out and restored, I then removed any extremely minor imperfections, such as an area on the face being too dark, moles, and stuff like that. This was done using the clone tool, patch tool, and spot healing brush, the last 2 of which are new technologies to Photoshop CS6. Once this was done, I then smoothed out his skin by covering the image to CMYK color mode, taking the yellow color channel out, converting it back to RBG mode and pasting it back over the other layers, and setting it to a linear dodge mode. Changing the opacity of this layer determined how smooth the skin would be.

If that's too much, I basically keyed him out and restored any missing parts, then applied a load of unnecessary Photoshop touching techniques. Done.


I then added the cover lines / plugs / lures to the page in order to attract peoples attention.


I also added a big subtitle with a one word summary of the magazine for the same reason. The bar code was also added.


then I added some more lures, and an exclusive interview lure.

No comments:

Post a Comment