7 - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
From the prelim, which you can see here, I've learnt allot more in terms of how the magazine should look, and ways in which I can make it look better and improve on it.
I've learned that adding lots of detail, such as variation of text sizes and fonts, help make it look more interesting and appealing to look at, there's something for everyone. However, depending on the type of magazine you're doing, this could be a bad thing, such as a really posh magazine with worthy celebrities on the front, will often have allot less text, which is usually smaller and in royal colors in order to catch peoples attention and say "look at us, we're such a good (and loaded) magazine company! Look! We can afford to have David Beckham on the front of our mag, buy me now!"
As you can see on the prelim, there are a few lures on there to interest any potential buyers, however there is nothing that really urges anyone to buy, I think that it looks poorly made, due to it not having any detail, of course, this was near the start, before I knew how to position things to make the magazine look good. I may of had the technical skills to make a magazine, but the knowledge of how to present it was missing. We were limited to an hour only on this magazine, which may also be why it looks poorly made. I think that this cover could be greatly improved if there was allot more detail, such a variation of font, color, and sizes, as well as additional text.
In terms of the colour scheme of both the prelim and the new magazine, I think that while both of the schemes are okay, that the new one is much better, as it goes with the overall look of the page, the prelim however kinda sticks out in places, green against white and black, hmm, it looks abit off. It's not terrible, but it's not great either.
I didn't use any sort of tools on the prelim either, it was all eyeballed in a short amount of time, but for the final magazine, I used tools such as the Adobe Colour tool, in order to get the colours to go together, though most of it consists of just purple and white, it was still a help in telling me what colours would be better to use with other colours.
In terms of the mise en scene, there has been some change, as you can see on the prelim, it's just one person and some electro related equipment which is popular when looking at concert type electro music. On the final magazine you can see that there's been thought of the mise en scene, and what the models are wearing, on the top photo, Mat is wearing a simple black jumper with drawstrings, it stands out from the white / faded purple background.
On the double page spread, he is in a gray T-shirt, with glasses attached, and Rajan to the left of him is in a long sleeve shirt with a watch.
From the prelim photos to these final photos, I'd say there's been alot of change, the prelim just had straight portrait shot photos, however with the final magazine, I've used both a portrait shot for the cover, and a mid shot for the double page spread, and 2 more portrait shots for the contents page. All of the photos were then edited to make them more appealing, any minor flaws were taken out using a variety of tools within Photoshop, and the images were all color corrected to suit the theme of my magazine. Because they were all keyed out from their original backgrounds, I did not have to worry about any white balancing issues that would've been caused by messing with colour correction. (this is when you take a photo in let's say, a room with yellow lights, and you want the white walls that are being made yellow by the light, to look white - their original colour. Hence why is it called WHITE balancing. :)
I would say that the overall layout of the two magazines have a very large difference between them, as you can see on the final magazine, there is used of multiple font types, sizes, colours and styles. This makes it look tonnes more details, and that there's been alot of thought that's gone into getting the magazine to look good. Whereas with the prelim, it's all just all the same font with some smaller sizes and colours. On my final, i've used additional graphics to almost make the text 'featured', or, important.
I'd say that overall and comparing the two magazine, that I've made a huge improvement. I've learned how to space everything out in a much better looking fashion, and I've made sure to add much more detail to my final.


Lots more detail needed. Look at examples for guidance.
ReplyDelete