Friday, 16 January 2015

8 - Analysis of Existing Magazine Titles




What I like about VIBE is how they make their magazines are all relatively tidy, there's no clutter everywhere to the point where you think that it look like trash, they keep their content tasteful in terms of what goes onto the covers. The title they use is also very bold, and always changes depending on what the properties of the magazine cover is, such as the background, style, color pallet,and so on, in order to make it flow with the content.


Billboard are actually very similar to VIBE, although what I prefer about Billboard is how they make their covers alot more colorful, much like their colorful logo as seen above, they bring a sense of liveliness to all of the magazines they produce. I find Bilboard to be more tasteful and down to earth compared to what some other titles are producing. the title and colorset they use with it is easily recognisable, and you could probably recognise them with the four colors in their logo alone.


Q has become quite an iconic publisher, always having their little Q logo at the upper right hand corner of every magazine they publish, they make magazines based around music and the charts from people such as Adele, Cheryl Cole, The Foo Fighters, and more. They like to put everything in bold and put a fair amount of text on most of their magazines.


Mojo, similar to Q, but they tend to clutter their magazines like crazy, I'm not too keen on the covers myself, but they have an audience who may enjoy the messy styled covers. They tend to have famous people such as the beatles, John Lennon, and others on their magazines, who are often surrounded by pure text, alot of their magazine photos are also in black and white / sepia or other retro like style.

I've found that all these titles are easily recognisable, are catchy, and stand out. So I will have to make a title that has these same properties in order for it to be a good competitor. Aswell as having the content on the magazine up to a similar standard as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment